Knockanannig 1

Fermoy (Irish: Mainistir Fhear Maí, meaning ‘monastery of the Men of the Plain’) is a town on the River Blackwater in east County Cork, Ireland.

Its population is about 5,800, environs included – 2006 census – and is located in the barony of Fermoy.

Fermoy’s name comes from the Irish and refers to a Cistercian abbey founded in the 13th century.

In 1791, the lands around Fermoy were bought by Scotsman, John Anderson – an entrepreneur who developed the roads and started the mail coach system in Ireland. He designed the town and the streets remain much the same as they were originally built. A plaque and bust in his honour were unveiled by the town park in 2001.

Related products